Lazy Sunday afternoon with Miguelito. September 19, 2010
No that's not me in the picture, but I wish it was. :-) What a simple life a dog leads! Yeah so that's the most recent photo in my camera—during a break from rehearsal at a dancer friend's house. Whenever I write a blog I always have some photos of a recent flamenco-related event to publish along with it. But I haven't been out and about as much as I wanted to the past week, so that's the photo I'm going to publish today. Enjoy it!
In case you didn't know, here in the USA, from September 15th to October 15th is officially Hispanic Heritage Month. As it turns out a lot of end of summer festivals happen around this time and this year, especially this weekend there has been a lot of flamenco performances (many of them FREE!):
- September 17th: Flamenco Aparicio in Alma Flamenca at the Creative Alliance in Baltimore
- September 18th: Furia Flamenca at the H St Festival
- September 18th: Flamenco guitarist Marija Temo at Bloomingdales in White Flint
- September 18th: Natalia Monteleón's Arte Flamenco at Rockville Town Square
- September 18th: Manuel Liñán flamenco masterclass at DC Dance Collective
- September 18th: Furia Flamenca at the Lincoln Theatre in honor of Rita Moreno
- September 19th: Furia Flamenca at the International Chilren's Festival at Wolf Trap
Sadly, I couldn't make it to any of the above events. I'm sure some of my photographer friends will send me some pics to publish in a future blog. But to redeem myself for not getting out to do my photojournalist duty this weekend, I'm going out to Vinoteca tonight for the rumba/flamenco show.
But I'm doing so against my better judgment—on my struggling artist budget, I can only afford one beer. Hopefully I'll see some of you there tonight and nudge nudge, feel free to buy me a drink! ;-)
P.S. The next couple of weeks are packed with flamenco happenings. Checkout the calendar, show your support for the local flamenco community and come out to a show or two.